Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's never too late.

Surprisingly, the dinner I made tonight was somewhat tasty. The last time I attempted a fried rice dish, the rice turned into a mush and it didn't have much flavor.

Over the past month, I have been working out with my personal trainer for four days a week. It usually consists of running, an ab workout and a body workout. I'm pleased with the results so far and can't wait until I reach my goal. Lately, I've been on this push to be physically stronger as well as mentally stronger. In the end, I would like to be able to run a marathon.

My place of employment has undergone some changes. The Seocho branch has been remodeled and it looks much better (plus I have a spacious room--pictures soon). There are also a number of new teachers. It's odd to be grouped in with the "veterans." Unfortunately, there aren't too many of us left... Marie has left, due to unexpected circumstances back in the states...as well as a number of others. The atmosphere at work is different now, but I can't determine if it is good or bad.

I have picked up a "private" and will be teaching the Vice-President of Sony in Korea on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the morning. This will be a one-on-one lesson (conversation based) which is much different from what I'm use to... Sessions start next week and I'm pretty excited about them.

My birthday came quietly and it also ended quietly. Although this past weekend I managed to have a good ole time out at the clubs and bars in Seoul. For my birthday dinner I ate a laid-back meal with a friend in Gangnam and one of my students gave me a small turtle figurine which I named Sprinkles.

Currently, I'm on a mission to try and get my visa for China. I would like to go to Beijing for a few days for the upcoming Korean holiday. Hopefully I will succeed and see the Great Wall within the next few weeks.


The mistakes I've made are my past. The aftermath of the mistakes are my present. The strength gained is my future. There are moments where I have flashes of my past. Quick, ephemeral clips of my life. They remind me of situations and of a self I don't wish to see again. My moments of desperation, my moments of loss, my moments of confusion, instability and chaos....all return to haunt me unexpectedly. I am dealing with these intangible photographs of my mind...learning how to grow and how to change into the person I desire to become.

That "one-fine day" is drawing nearer with each sunrise and setting of the sun.

I look at strangers on the subway, on the uneven sidewalks of Seoul, and discover the same thing in each face, in each pair of eyes. We all long for the same thing. Understanding. Love. Inner Peace. There are too many of us searching for things that shouldn't have to be sought after and that is unfortunate.

2 comments:

Johnna said...

You're still in Korea? I thought you were back stateside!

Noel said...

hey! just saw that you wrote :)
I won't be back until Feb. 2009
wooooo